POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Media and Opposite Colors : Re: Media and Opposite Colors Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:21:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media and Opposite Colors
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 30 Sep 1999 03:46:46
Message: <37f31566@news.povray.org>
Simen Kvaal <sim### [at] studentmatnatuiono> wrote:
: Light has mass too! According to Einstein, light has no resting mass, but
: relativistic mass.

  I wouldn't say that light actually has mass.
  AFAIK light has no mass. Period.
  This is only my opinion of what I have understood about physics:
  For some calculations it may be easier to consider the light having mass,
but it's only a mathematical trick. It doesn't really have any mass. The
reason why light bends near massive objects is because the space is curved
there and the light tends to move along the geodesic lines of the space
(which are actually the shortest way from one point to another). The
massive object doesn't attract the light, it's just bending the space.

: It is easy to verfy. The solar winds, for example, can
: make a satelite go off couse. And you cannot have force without mass.

  You are confused here. Solar wind is not light, it's gaseous matter that
the Sun is emitting (mainly ions). See:
http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wsolwind.html